Rechargd.com is reader supported. We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Picture this: it’s a sunny Saturday afternoon, and you’ve decided to give your Model 3 a good cleaning. You’ve got your cleaning supplies ready, and then you realize you’re not sure how to open the frunk. No worries, I’ve got you covered.
To open the Model 3 frunk, use the Tesla app, key card, or touchscreen. Closing requires even pressure with both hands on the sides halfway between the emblem and the edge. Confirm proper closure by listening for a latch click, conducting manual and visual checks, and monitoring the vehicle’s touchscreen for any alerts.
Opening the Model 3 frunk is a piece of cake. First, grab your key card or have your smartphone nearby, as you’ll need it to unlock your car. Make sure your vehicle is parked and the doors are unlocked. Next, locate the Tesla app on your smartphone or take your key card and follow these three simple steps:
- Using the Tesla app: If you have paired the Tesla app with your Model 3, open the app, and log in. On the main screen, you’ll see a button that says “Frunk.” It’s that straightforward; just tap the button, and you’ll hear the frunk pop open.
- Using the key card: If you prefer using the key card, double tap the bottom of the B-pillar, the section behind the front passenger door, to unlock your Model 3. While standing close to the frunk, double-tap ¯the top part of the key card (which has the Tesla logo) and wait for the frunk to unlatch before releasing the key card.
- At the touchscreen: In case you’re already inside the vehicle, gently tap on the “Controls” button located in the bottom left corner of the touchscreen display. Right there, you’ll see “Quick Controls.” From there, hit the “Frunk” button and watch it pop open.
All set! You are now ready to access the frunk. Go ahead and store your supplies, groceries, or whatever else you’d like in there. Now, on to what I think is the trickier part: closing the frunk.
How Do I Close the Model 3 Frunk Safely and Securely?
Now that you’re through with the frunk, you’ll need to close it properly. This is where some people get a little nervous because closing the frunk can be a bit more delicate than closing other hoods. To avoid causing damage or leaving it not completely latched, follow these tips, which in my experience, have absolutely saved me from frunk-related headaches:
- Apply moderate pressure: The frunk is made of aluminum, a material that is both lightweight and prone to dents or creases if not treated carefully. Shut the frunk by standing right in front of the car, facing it. Place one hand on each side halfway between the Tesla emblem and the edge of the frunk. It’s essential to apply even pressure from both hands to ensure the latch catches and the frunk is closed securely.
- Avoid slamming or dropping: It might be tempting but do not slam or drop the frunk from a height to close it. This could cause damage or result in the latch not catching, leaving the frunk partially open. To avoid any unwanted dings or dents, use the method mentioned above to close the frunk gently and securely.
How Can I Tell If the Frunk Is Closed Properly?
As with other hoods, it’s crucial to double-check if the frunk is entirely closed. The main reason for this is to ensure the latch has caught, and the frunk won’t spring open during your drive (imagine how alarming that can be).
To verify if the frunk is closed correctly, follow these pointers:
- The latch sound: When you close the frunk using the method described earlier, you should hear a soft, audible “click” as the latch connects. That’s your first indication that the frunk is securely closed.
- Manual check: As a backup, give the hood a little wiggle. If it doesn’t budge, it’s closed. If it moves slightly, that’s your cue to repeat the closing process, applying even pressure with both hands on either side.
- Visual check: Inspect the alignment of the frunk from the front of the car. It should sit flush with the body of the vehicle with no noticeable gaps. If you spot any areas where it looks uneven or isn’t aligned correctly, try closing the frunk again.
- Vehicle Alert: If the frunk isn’t closed correctly, your Model 3 will show a frunk open alert on the touchscreen display. Keep an eye out for that warning and address it immediately to avoid potential dangers or damage to the frunk.
What If the Frunk Won’t Close or Latch?
First of all, don’t panic. It’s possible that this issue could be due to a faulty latch or debris preventing the latch from closing. Here’s what you can do:
- Check for debris: Open the frunk and inspect the latch area for any debris, leaves or dirt. Clean the area thoroughly, and attempt to close the frunk again using the previously mentioned two-hand method.
- Lubricate the latch: If the latch still won’t connect, it may just need a little lubrication. Apply a small amount of silicone spray or lithium grease to the latch mechanism, then try closing it yet again.
- Contact Tesla Service: If all else fails, get in touch with Tesla Service to schedule an appointment. The experts there will be able to diagnose any issues and recommend the best course of action for your frunk troubles.
Are There Any Accessories or Modifications for the Model 3 Frunk?
Now that you’ve mastered the art of opening and closing the Model 3 frunk, let’s dive into the world of accessories and modifications. If you want to add a personal touch to your frunk or make it even more functional, there are several aftermarket options out there tailored to meet those needs. Here are a few popular ones:
- Frunk organizer: Maximize the efficiency of your Model 3 frunk space with a durable, customizable frunk organizer. The compartments will help keep your items neat and orderly while preventing them from shifting during your drive.
- Automatic frunk struts: Upgrade your frunk with automatic struts for an easy, hands-free opening experience. This modification replaces the standard gas struts, enabling your frunk to pop open fully with just a single click from your smartphone, key card, or touchscreen.
- Frunk liner: Keep your frunk looking pristine and easy to clean by adding a liner. The liners are designed specifically for the Model 3 frunk, providing a perfect fit and protection from spills, stains, and wear and tear.
- Custom LED lighting: If you find the default lighting in your frunk to be dim or uneven, consider installing custom LED lighting. With bright, energy-efficient LED strips, you’ll enjoy enhanced visibility and a more modern look to your Model 3 frunk.
- Gas strut covers: Add a little flair to your frunk area with custom gas strut covers. These stylish covers come in a variety of colors and finishes, allowing you to match your car’s exterior and give your Model 3 that extra touch of personalization.
How Can I Keep My Model 3 Frunk Clean and Maintained?
After going through all the effort to modify and accessorize your vehicle, you’ll want to keep that frunk looking its best. Here are some helpful tips for maintaining your Model 3 frunk:
- Regular cleaning: Keep your frunk in top shape by giving it a thorough cleaning every few weeks, or as needed. Remove debris, dirt, and dust using a microfiber cloth or vacuum cleaner. You can use mild automotive soap and water if necessary, just be sure to avoid getting any water on electrical components.
- Spot cleaning: For spills and stains, tackle them as soon as possible to avoid any lasting damage. Use a cloth soaked in soapy water to spot-clean the affected area, and follow up with a clean, dry cloth to prevent any residue.
- Lint-free cleaning: If you have an organizer or liner in your frunk, be sure to use a lint-free cloth or vacuum cleaner to clean those accessories, as lint can sometimes stick to the fabric and create a mess.
- Frunk latch maintenance: Inspect the frunk latch regularly, making sure it’s clean and functioning smoothly. As mentioned earlier, applying some lubricant (silicone spray or lithium grease) to the latch mechanism can help maintain its performance.
By following these maintenance tips, you’ll keep your Model 3 frunk looking great and functioning smoothly for years to come.
If you remember the essential rules of operating and maintaining your Model 3 frunk, you’ll benefit from an additional storage space that’s convenient and secure. Cheers to easier road trips, and remember to double-check that latch every time!
There you have it, a comprehensive guide to opening and closing your Model 3’s frunk. By following the aforementioned advice, you’ll be able to enjoy the convenience and space provided by this car feature safely and securely. Just remember to handle the frunk gently to avoid damage and make sure it’s properly latched every time you use or clean it. Safe driving!
- Tesla Model 3 Owner’s Manual:
Tesla. (n.d.). Model 3 Owner’s Manual. Retrieved from https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
- Tesla Model 3 Support Page:
Tesla. (n.d.). Model 3 Support. Retrieved from https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3
- Tesla Motors Club Forum:
Tesla Motors Club. (n.d.). Model 3: Forums. Retrieved from https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/model-3.125/
- Reddit Tesla Model 3 Community:
Reddit. (n.d.). Tesla Model 3. Retrieved from https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModel3/