Helps prevent and remove sleet, snow, ice, bugs and road spray from sticking to glass.
Rechargd.com is reader supported. We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
We all know that cleaning the windshield of our car is essential for clear visibility and safe driving. Tesla owners, especially those with the outstanding Model 3, need to be prepared for those moments when dirt and debris obscure their view.
To spray windshield wiper fluid on a Tesla Model 3, locate the left-hand side control stalk behind the steering wheel. Press and hold the button with the wiper icon to activate the spray. The wipers will also clear the windshield automatically. Release the button once the spray sufficiently covers the windshield and the wipers clear the fluid.
How Important Is It To Regularly Use Windshield Wiper Fluid?
It should never be underestimated just how important it is to keep your windshield clean and clear. Visibility is one of the most critical components of safe driving. Without a clean windshield, your ability to navigate among other drivers and obstacles is profoundly compromised, increasing the risk of accidents.
Using windshield wiper fluid regularly keeps dirt, grime, and bug splatters at bay, ensuring a clear field of vision on the road. Just think about how many times you’ve faced challenging driving conditions due to poor visibility, and you’ll understand why it’s so vital to maintaining this aspect of your Tesla Model 3.
How do you locate the wiper fluid reservoir in a Tesla Model 3?
Locating the wiper fluid reservoir in your Model 3 is reasonably straightforward. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Make sure your car is parked on level ground and in a safe location.
- Turn off your Model 3 and ensure that it’s in “park” mode (press the button on the end of the gear selector stalk).
- Pop the hood by pressing the button under the touchscreen that looks like a hood with an arrow pointing up (it’s on the lower right-hand side).
- Once the hood is open, you’ll notice a central black plastic cover emblazoned with the Tesla logo.
- Locate the two tabs on the left and right sides of the cover. Press them simultaneously to release the cover and expose the internal components.
- The washer fluid reservoir has a blue cap, and it’s located on the right side (when facing the car) of the exposed components. Voilà! Your wiper fluid reservoir has been revealed.
What type of wiper fluid should you use for your Model 3?
In my experience, it’s best to use a high-quality windshield wiper fluid for any vehicle, the Tesla Model 3 included. While all-purpose wiper fluids will suffice, it’s a good idea to opt for a brand specifically designed for automotive glass. Some popular options include:
- Rain-X Washer Fluid Additive – This product helps keep your windshield cleaner for longer by applying a water-repellent coating during use.
- Prestone De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid – A great option for those in colder climates, this fluid helps remove ice and frost from your windshield.
Super-concentrated with 3 times the cleaning power of ordinary wash. Dissolves completely to remove road film, dirt, and grime.
- 303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets – These tablets are a more eco-friendly option, producing less waste than traditional liquid fluids. Simply drop a tablet into an empty reservoir and fill it with water.
Remember to use a fluid that suits your needs and the climate you live in. Moreover, always read the label and follow the manufacturer’s directions when handling and using wiper fluids.
How do you fill the wiper fluid reservoir?
Now that you have located the wiper fluid reservoir and chosen your desired fluid type, it’s time to fill it up! Here’s how you do it:
- Unscrew and remove the blue cap from the windshield wiper fluid reservoir.
- Pour your selected wiper fluid into the reservoir slowly, ensuring there’s no spillage. If you purchased a fluid that’s concentrated or in tablet form, mix it with water according to the instructions on the package. Tip: Using a small, clean funnel can help minimize spillage and make this task much easier.
- Keep an eye on the reservoir’s fluid level. It will become visible through the translucent plastic as the reservoir fills. Don’t overfill the reservoir; leave a little space at the top.
- Once the reservoir is filled, screw the blue cap back on, ensuring it’s tightly secured.
There you have it. You’ve successfully filled the wiper fluid reservoir for your Tesla Model 3!
How do you activate the wiper fluid spray?
Activating the wiper fluid spray is a simple process. Follow these instructions:
- Sit in the driver’s seat and make sure your Tesla Model 3 is either in “park” mode or driving at a slow speed.
- Locate the left-hand side control stalk, found behind the steering wheel.
- Press and hold the end of the stalk (the button with the windshield wiper icon) to activate the wiper fluid spray. Note: The windshield wipers will also activate automatically to clear the fluid and any grime on the glass.
- Release the button once the spray covers your windshield sufficiently. The wipers will continue to sweep any excess fluid away, leaving you with a clean and clear windshield.
How Often Should You Check and Refill the Wiper Fluid?
It’s a good practice to inspect your wiper fluid reservoir level regularly (at least once a month). Since usage can vary depending on driving conditions and frequency, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to how often it should be refilled. However, when you notice that the spray seems weaker or not as effective, it’s time to top off the reservoir.
Additional Insights: Windshield Wiper Functionality
While our article comprehensively covers the steps to spray windshield wiper fluid on a Tesla Model 3, it’s worth noting a few additional details regarding wiper functionality. When the spray is activated, the wipers perform two wipes automatically. Then, after a momentary pause, the last wipe is applied based on the vehicle’s windshield and environmental conditions. This ensures that your windshield remains clear and free of any residue.
Recommended Windshield Cleaning Fluid for Tesla Model 3
When choosing a windshield cleaning fluid, consider a concentrated wiper fluid designed specifically for Tesla Model 3 windshields. A high-quality fluid will address a variety of pollutants, such as oil, asphalt, bug residue, and road salt, without damaging your rubber strips, wipers, or varnish. Moreover, a fluid containing an antifreeze agent is recommended for those living in colder climates, as it is effective in temperatures as low as -30°C.
Troubleshooting Fluid Dispensing Issues
If you’re experiencing difficulties in dispensing wiper fluid on your Tesla Model 3, there could be a few possible reasons:
- Operational Issue: Ensure that you’re pressing and holding the signal stalk button correctly. Revisit our article’s instructions on activating the fluid spray, and try again.
- Disconnected Lines: There could be an issue with the fluid jet lines not being properly connected to the battery. Simply visit your nearest Tesla service center, and they can assist you with a quick fix.
- Empty Fluid Reservoir: Verify that your windshield fluid reservoir is adequately filled. Refill the reservoir if necessary.
A Method for Removing Stubborn Dirt from Your Model 3 Windshield
To maintain your Tesla Model 3’s luxurious appearance and pristine visibility, it’s essential to remove stubborn dirt and grime from your windshield from time to time. Here’s a method for achieving a scratch and streak-free windshield:
- Glass Cleaner
- Three Microfiber Cleaning Towels (dedicated to glass surfaces only)
- Spray the cleaning fluid evenly over the entire windshield.
- Using the first towel, gently loosen stubborn grease, debris, and stains. Flip the towel to the cleaner side after a few passes to avoid scratching your windshield.
- With the second, softer towel, gently glide it over the cleaner-sprayed windshield and pick up loosened debris.
- If any dirt remains, use a third clean, dry microfiber towel to buff out and pick up any residue left on your Model 3’s windshield.
Tesla Model 3 Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir Capacity
It’s crucial to be aware of the capacity of the windshield washer fluid reservoir in your Tesla Model 3 to ensure its effective functioning. Model 3 has a reservoir capacity of 3.2 liters. This information can help you gauge when it’s time for a refill and avoid overfilling the reservoir.
In conclusion, maintaining a clean and clear windshield is essential for safe driving, and your Tesla Model 3 is no exception. By following this guide, you’re now equipped to locate and replenish the wiper fluid reservoir in your beloved electric vehicle. Remember to check the fluid level regularly, and always use a high-quality fluid that suits your needs and climate. Drive safe!
- Tesla Model 3 Owner’s Manual, Retrieved from https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
- Tesla Model 3 Support, Retrieved from https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3
- Rain-X Washer Fluid Additive, Retrieved from https://www.rainx.com/product/windshield-washer-fluids/rainx-washer-fluid-additive/
- Prestone De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid, Retrieved from https://prestone.com/products/de-icer-windshield-washer-fluid/
- 303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets, Retrieved from https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-instant-windshield-washer-tablets/
- Tesla Model 3 Maintenance, Tips and Tricks, Retrieved from https://tesla-info.com/Tesla-Model-3-maintenance-tips-and-tricks/
- Tesla Model 3 Accessories and Upgrades, Retrieved from https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-accessories/upgrades/